Must try dish if you visit 'Delhi'. It is one of Delhi’s many Punjabi specialties. It is a heavy breakfast which is generally accompanied with 'Lassi'. So here is my recipe for Punjabi chhole bhature, guaranteed to bring the flavours of Delhi streets right into your home.
Ingredients for chole:
1 Cup Chick peas (Kabuli Chana) (soaked overnight)
1 tea bag or tsp tea leaves
2 medium sized onion
2 green chilies
1 tablespoon oil
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
Puree of 3-4 Tomatoes
Red chili powder
Cumin seeds powder
Method for chole:
- Pressure cook the chick peas with the tea bag for 3 whistles until they are soft . Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the onion, ginger-garlic paste, green chilies, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and saute till the onion is golden brown.
- Add tomato puree, saute it and cook it for a 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chole masala, chilli powder, amchur, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder and salt and saute for another minute.
- Add the chick peas and 1 cup of water and mix well.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
Ingredients for Bhature:
1/2 cup plain flour (maida)
1/2 cup potatoes, boiled and grated
1 1/2 tsp oil salt to taste
oil for deep-frying
Method for Bhature:
- Combine the flour, potato, 1½ teaspoons of oil and salt and knead into a firm dough without using any water.
- Knead the dough very well till it is smoothCover with a wet muslin cloth and rest the dough for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts and roll out into circles of 125 mm. (5") diameter.
- Deep fry in hot oil till the bhaturas puff up and both sides are golden brown.
- Serve hot with the chole, sliced onion and lemon wedges.
Your Punjabi Chole Bhature is ready to serve.It is a heavy breakfast which is generally accompanied with lassi. Chole bhature are served with onions and achaar.